Thursday, February 7, 2008

Safety in numbers

Other people's opinions -- it's easy to live life in fear of the faceless masses and their opinions. But once you break out of the mould, life suddenly becomes a whole lot more satisfying. I learnt that in kindergarten, when I was forced to participate in a race. While everyone headed north, I decided to go south. My mum was mortified, but I quite enjoyed running in the opposite direction -- there was no one jostling me.
Since then, I've always chosen to do exactly what I please, instead of bowing down to society's norms and values. But the going's not easy, and there are times when I seek the safety of numbers, when I crave for mass approval, and seek acceptance from people who don't really care whether I live or die. Today, however, is not one of those days. Today, I'll be driving six white horses.

No comments: