Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Stop the voices

Exhaustion threatens to overwhelm me, but I cannot rest. The body is revolting; the mind refuses to shut down. After spewing out words all week, and sucking stories out of other people, I cannot find myself. Instead my waking and sleeping moments are being stalked by the voices of others. And old man is telling me: ‘I have done nothing to be ashamed of.’ A young Jew is talking to me about Plato. I dare not forget his voice, as I’ve yet to write about him. Men on horses are pounding in my head. And the week’s not over. These are all the people I’ve spoken to over the week, and the week’s not over.
My mind is tired and does not have the patience to read. The stories are failing to hold my attention. My eyes are tired, and I want to sleep, but my mind refuses to shut down.
I’ve got my solitude, but it’s cold comfort. The voices are getting louder and more insistent.
‘I played for high stages’
‘Forgive me, father for I have sinned’
‘My wife died.’
‘I’m an alcoholic, and my husband hates me’
Stop the voices. I’ve documented their lives… but they refuse to leave. And I am weary. I want to forget everything and start afresh. The words are failing me… and mediocrity is setting in. I should stop now.

No comments: